Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Food and Preparation for Vipassana

This picture was taken the day that Steven (my boyfriend) and I left for the Vipassana center on January 21st, 2010.

We prepared ourselves for the retreat by doing a 10 day cleanse beforehand. It looked a little something like this:

Day 1: Water Fast
Day 2: Juice Feast
Day 3: Juice Feast
Day 4: Juice Feast
Day 5: Juice Feast
Day 6: Juice Feast
Day 7: Juice Feast
Day 8: Hydro Colon Therapy session with our friend, Alec, at Chakra 17.
Master Cleanse
Day 9: Master Cleanse
NO phones, internet, talking, eye-contact, touching
Meditation 4x day
Day 10: Master Cleanse
NO phones, internet, talking, eye-contact, touching
Meditation 4x day

We were clear, clean, peaceful and happy, as you can probably gather by our picture. We broke the fast with bananas and kombucha day 11, which is when we headed to the center in Onalaska. They also served us a light dinner on the evening we arrived. It was vegetable soup, brown rice and salad.

This was the first cooked food I had eaten for a year and a half. Steven had joined me on the raw food path about 6 months prior. We decided ahead of time not to be picky when we went to Vipassana. It felt more natural to just practice gratitude for whatever was being served.

The food felt surprisingly good to me and would've been fine to digest had I eaten less of it. I definitely enjoyed eating again after the cleanse and they served such a wide variety of healthy, nourishing food prepared with such metta, (loving kindness) that I simply couldn't resist piling my plate high or going back for seconds. Next time, I think I will control myself a bit more in order to go deeper into the meditations.




No comments:

Post a Comment